Thursday, August 26, 2010
So I guess it's my turn now! Props to Jen on making that super cute image above.
1. My memory: Whether you like it or not, if we're good friends, then I probably know your birthday and license plate number. Creepy, I know. Like any good math nerd, I really like numbers, so they stick in my head. You're gonna thank me one day when I recognize your broken down car on the side of the road because of its license plate.
2. New people: Since being in a new city, I realized how awkward I can be when I meet new people. I'm always thinking about the next question to ask, how to respond, etc. etc. I really like getting to know new people, it just takes me a while to get comfy. It's the same thing when I talk to quiet people. For some reason, I always feel like I have to keep the conversation going. I just don't like awkward silence.
3. Blogs: Although I'm still new with this blog, I've always loved the idea of having one. I've just never been a big writer. I love following new blogs on my Google Reader: families around the country, recipe ideas, decorating ideas, photographers, etc.
4. Cooking: Speaking of new recipe ideas, I love trying out new recipes. Or maybe I should say I love the idea of trying new ones out. I have a running Word document that's over 20 pages long with tons of breakfast, dinner, and dessert recipes. But for some reason, I tend to stick with my old faithfuls. I'm so glad Brandon (SOOO excited he's bringing back his blog, btw!!) isn't a sucker for variety like I am :)
5. Music: I love, love, love music. Good thing I married a drummer :) I'm not even so much into finding the latest, greatest music. I just love how one song can totally make your day or change your perspective.
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Our church (for now at least) sang this song a couple of weeks ago, and it's been stuck in my head ever since! The video is kinda cheesy, but it's the only way I could think of to let you hear the song.
We've lived in Nashville for 2 months now, and with all the busyness of getting settled, becoming acclimated with the area, taking a few short weekend trips, and hanging out with our wonderful house guests, I realized that I just haven't stopped. Sure, I've had a lot of down time as I waited on principals to call or email me back, but I wasn't resting in the most fulfilling way that I could. And more importantly, I wasn't completely putting my life/future/plan in the Lord's hands and then resting in His goodness, His faithfulness, and His never ending love.
Most of you already know that I'm a huuuuuge planner, and getting a teaching job soon after moving to Nashville was part of my plan. But my plan is not the Lord's plan, and I'm ever so slowly letting go of that. I don't know why I'm balancing two part-time jobs instead of starting my first day of teaching today, but I don't need to know all those details. (I cringe as I type that!) All I need to do is REST in the hands who orchestrated the universe and just BE the Kate that He created me to be. These lessons seem so simple in theory, but are so hard to live out.
Monday, August 9, 2010
Yesterday, Brandon and I celebrated two years of marriage!! I always hear that marriage is a gift, and I don't know if I've ever fully cherished that gift until these past few months. Thank you, Brandon, for loving me, encouraging me, lifting me up in prayer, listening to me, and just sitting patiently during my "minor" freakouts. There's no one else in this world I'd rather share this journey with than you. I am so lucky to be Mrs. Hays :)
Enjoy the amateur (keyword: amateur) iMovie that I put together. What can I say, I'm a sucker for montages! I couldn't have written the song better myself :)